Thursday, May 26, 2011

Emily and the Art(lessness) of Home Maintenance

I freaking HATE anything that requires "maintaining." 


It is the most difficult thing in the world to me, this "maintaining" thing.  I would much rather start something, finish it, have it be done, look at it and think, my what a wonderful thing I have accomplished, walk away from it and rest for the evening.

This is all I want every day of my life.

I do not receive this gift.  Ever.

I do the dishes.  There they are clean and piled up on the other side of the sink.
I put them away.  In walks my son with an almost empty sippy cup.

Instant defeat.

I pick up toys.  As I am putting them away, an 18 month-old monster is ripping them out of my hands to throw them on the floor.

Anger.  Defeat.

I clean the bathroom.  A precious gangly 3 year old hops in the bathroom pulls down his pants and pees all over the floor, side of the toilet, and cabinet.  "Oops, mama, I missed."

Can someone tell me what the point of all of this "maintenance" is?

Because I would love to stop getting angry at my family for wearing clothes the day after I have just finished cleaning, folding, and putting away 16 tons of laundry.


I understand that many people do not view things this way.  If you are one of these people, then I do not understand you.  How do you just continue to put things away and pull weeds and do dish after dish after dish without feeling completely defeated?


More importantly, I really don't understand is how this only affects the things that I don't enjoy doing.  Or things that I'm not good at, don't care much about, etc. Because I don't mind eating when I know I'm just going to burn off the energy or poop it out.  And I don't mind sleeping when I know that I'm just going to wake up again to live a busy day and get tired again.  And I am very good at both of those things.  I am an excellent eater, and maybe an even better sleeper.


I look forward to eating and sleeping.  I know those are infinite pursuits.  I will always need rest.  I will always get hungry again.  So really, eating and sleeping are the same as making a bed or doing dishes.  The only difference is that I love one and loathe the other.  What it comes down to, and what it always comes down to, I guess, is that I must change my attitude about it.


What if I don't want to change my attitude?  What if I don't know how?  What if I measure myself by the amount of things I accomplish in any given day and hate myself because I never accomplish anything because the only tasks that could be accomplished are relentless dishes and laundry?  


Well, Em, then you are destined to be angry and defeated.  I guess I will have to change my attitude.  
Crap.  
The worst part of changing my attitude is that it will have to stay changed.  And that requires... maintenance.

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way when I worked at the court. I would have my desk all caught up, clean when I left work and when I returned the next morning it was loaded up with paperwork. More crimes were committed overnight. I often thought that the President should declare a national "behave yourself day" just to give the courts a rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this and I thought to myself..."hmm em hates things that require maintenance, so she started a blog. I wonder how that's going to work out?"

    Kidding of course em, love you and your writing. I've subscribed!

    -s

    ReplyDelete