Thursday, February 9, 2012

Life Cycle of a Stay at Home Mom.

Mom Thought: Gosh, I used to use my brain a lot more than I do now.  I'm kind of bored.  Maybe I should find a volunteering opportunity or pick up a part time job or start a blog or doing something creative.  


After getting a part-time job and starting something creative...

Someone at the job says, "You're doing a really great job with this, and we'd like to give you more responsibility.  We really need you to pick up some more hours.  Can you do that for us?"

Mom Thought: Well, I only did this so I could help out the family with some extra cash and use my brain, but I don't want to let them down, so OK."


Someone at the preschool says, "You are so organized, would you mind helping out with our fund-raiser?"

Mom Thought: Well, it IS a good cause, and I wanted to help out more by volunteering...


A friend says, "Do you want to be a part of our book club?  I know how you love to read."

Mom Thought: It WOULD be really good for my brain, and I think it would challenge me.


The blog she created on a whim, thinking it would be easy to continue sits, loomingly un-updated since the first entry, and it calls to her, "You have 'followers.'  They are waiting on you to write something in here."


Mom Thought: I really miss hanging out with good friends.  Maybe I should join a Mommy Group.  I do have Fridays available.


Mom can't figure out why she's been so stressed and yelling at her kids more and freaking out about lunches not getting packed or why getting coats on and getting out the door is so stressful or why she just can't take one more annoying thing in her life.


Kids say, "Mama, we MISS you.  Are you going to another meeting?"

Mom thinks: What did I get myself into?  Should I be taking on all of these things?  I miss my kids.  I need to spend more time with them.  Maybe I should get rid of some of these responsibilities.  I have been pretty stressed lately.  It's just too much.


Mom says to the job, pre-school, Mommy group, and book club, "You know, I am just taking on too many responsibilities right now, and I can't juggle them all at once.  My family is suffering and, I just can't take on all of these things, so I can't volunteer.  I can't work more hours, and I'm not going to make it to book club this time."

Three weeks later...

Mom thinks: I'm kinda bored.  I'm really going to get going on this blog.  And now that I'm not working so much, I COULD actually do that pre-school fund-raiser thing...





No comments:

Post a Comment