Sunday, September 25, 2011

Fall Family Fun...

Fall is my favorite time of year.  Every time I say something about how I love Fall, Jeff starts whining about how much better Summer is, and how Fall sucks.  And it's just not true.  Fall is wonderful, and I think I feel this way because my family was always more of a family in the Fall than any other time of year.

1.  Football.  Right now, Jeff is laying on the couch downstairs watching football on Sunday afternoon.  Is there really any other thing that a man should be doing on a Sunday afternoon?  There is something so very very homey and wonderful about a home in the fall on a weekend with a football game on tv.  It just soothes my soul.

2.  Apples, Apple Orchards, Pumpkin Patches, Family Fall Fun Day...  I remember going to Keeney Apple Orchard with the Pittmans when I was a kid to pick apples.  All of my brothers would whine about it, and I would too, but it was the best.  Apple Cider and Doughnuts.  Climbing trees and wearing hooded sweatshirts.    My brothers bombing each other from their own respective trees with rotten apples...

So, even when I was in college, I knew that I wanted to have Fall traditions, so I would make my roommates go on Fall Fun Day Adventures with me.  We would go pick apples at an orchard, hike through the ravines on GV's campus, and then we would bake.  Apple crisp, apple cake, apple pie, apple pancakes...

And now, the Coloradohoos (Colorado Donehoos... get it?) are continuing with the Fall Family Fun by taking a Fall weekend getaway to the other side of the state.  Last year, we went to an Apple Festival with our friends from Grand Junction.  This year, it was a fun trip to Glenwood Springs for some cabin camping and Hot Springs soaking.  Here are some pics:


image attachment preview
Top Bunk!!!
image attachment preview 
I never knew Doc Holliday died in Glenwood Springs, but it turns out he wanted some mountain gear and died while shopping for it.
image attachment preview
Awe.
image attachment preview
My "boss" demanded planking pics, so I one-upped and gave her an owling as well.
image attachment preview
Jeff introduces Daniel's new friend to horse-manning.
image attachment preview
After a soak in the hot springs.
image attachment preview
September 24th at 5,800 ft. elevation.
image attachment preview
Monsters.

image attachment preview
Cookie Monsters Ice Cream face.  Happy.
Happy Fall All!

No comments:

Post a Comment