Saturday, September 3, 2011

Go Blue... and Mattie Moo.

So, today is the big day.  U of M’s home opener against Western. 

The fam is decked out in U of M gear;  the boys went to Home Depot to build me something after eating doughnuts (No Lev’s out here in Colorado) with daddy, and the sounds  of familiar marching band drums, chants, and of course, “Hail to the Victors” fill our home. 

There is something about this time of year that just calms me.  I don’t really know why it is or what it is that makes me feel so happy and inspired and soothed, but U of M football sounds just make me feel…… better.  It’s not like I sit and pine over football in the off-season or anything, and it’s not like I hope for the cold to come back, because I still get sad when summer’s over, but there is just something in me that breathes a sigh of relief when that first college football game is played.

The sounds and the cooler air, the way the wind rustles the leaves outside all bring me back to the best season of my childhood; the season when all of the boys in my family all had the same thing to fight for, when they all spoke the same language and were too busy to torture their baby sister.  Football season. 

Maybe it’s because my mom and I spent more time hanging out baking and cooking together in the kitchen.  Maybe it’s because it was something that everyone was a part of; I remember when I learned the words to Hail to the Victors and my mom made me sing it to my Grandma since she’s the biggest U of M fan I know. 

Anyway, it’s just a cool thing to me that this time of year can bring back such a nostalgic state of peace for me.  And this morning when I saw a beautiful picture of Mattie decked out in U of M gear, I thought about how she’ll grow up with some of those same warm feelings in her now healthy heart.  The fact that she has that healthy heart and that she loves her daddy and Granddaddy leads me to believe that the first thing out of her mouth will be “Go Blue.”

So happy your heart is happy and healthy, Mattie Moo.

No comments:

Post a Comment