Monday, June 13, 2011

Touchdown Mattie!


I can hear it, can’t you?  First touchdown has been scored.  Mattie’s out of surgery, tubes hooked up properly, nestled cozily in the ICU.  She’s up 6-0.  But what’s this?  Goin for 2 extra points?  And the pass is good with rosy cheeks and pink feet.  Mattie Mae 8-Tetrology of the Fallot 0.

And the band plays;)  Touchdown Mattie.


Now, I don’t know about you, but if I were an icky heart condition, I’d be scared when I looked at Mattie Mae’s team.  First of all, if the sheer number of jerseys along with all the prayers being sent up to The Big Guy isn’t enough to send that Tetrology of the Fallot running, how about the awesome U of M doctors and nurses?  Do I even need to keep going? Grand Daddy Mattie is leading the defense to keep T of F from gaining any yardage, and of course, there is a star running back Daddy who could be superman for all you know, stinkin T of F… and do you really want to even think about Mattie’s Mama?

When I first met Lisa back in high school, it was some sort of Roberts tradition to inform others who carried themselves in a confident manner to inform them that they were “not tough.”  Lisa was one of these confident souls, so Ken and I dutifully informed her that she was, “not tough.”  I think it ticked her off a little, ticked her off enough to stand up to Ken and endure countless trials of her toughness.  She was daring enough for a late-night Denny’s outing, she dished out as much teasing as Ken did to her, and withstood eau de Kenneth… all with a bright beautiful, dimpled smile.  And I know no other woman who could handle graduate school graduation, a move across the country, a new home, a complete remodel of said new home, a new career, a new marriage, and a new baby with a major heart condition all within twoish short years with the grace, style, sense of humor and… toughness of Lisa Roberts.  We were wrong, Lisa (Mattison) Roberts.  You are tough.  Tougher than I hope I’ll ever have to be.

And the one star player that I haven’t yet mentioned… Precious little Mattie Mae with the yellow bow on her head.  And even though I’ve seen her in pink ruffled tights, 
she might prove to be even tougher than her mama.


It is only the end of the first quarter, but she’s leading the team in yards, sacks and interceptions. Oh, Miss Mattie Mae, you make me proud to be a part of your team, even though I’m just standing on the sidelines trying to be a sports writer.

1 comment: